There is a new virus outbreak called Coronavirus. The outbreak began in China on 31st December 2019 and has resulted in the death of 26 people and infected over 830 people within a short period.
First case was reported in USA on the 21st January 2020, a Chinese returning from holiday in China. Other cases have also been reported in Thailand and Japan.
Other countries are at risk especially Nigeria that has a lot of traffic to and from China due to trade relations.
Corona virus infects the respiratory system with symptoms similar to common cold which includes:runny nose, cough, sore throat, headache and fever.
For those with a weakened immune system, the elderly and the very young, there’s a chance the virus could cause a lower, and much more serious, respiratory tract illness like a pneumonia or bronchitis. There are a handful of human coronaviruses that are known to be deadly.
How does coronavirus spread:
- Contact/inhale the infected person’s secretions when they sneeze or cough.
- Handshake with infected persons could cause exposure.
- Touching something an infected person has touched and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes.
What do you do:
To help prevent coronavirus, do the same simple things you do to avoid common cold:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water
- Where water is not readily available, use hand sanitizer
- Keep your fingers away from nose and mouth
- Avoid close contact with people who are infected
- Avoid touching of railing in public places
Simple preventive measues:
- Drink plenty of fluids, get rest and sleep as much as possible.
- Improvement on sanitary conditions – regular washing of hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Seek immediate medical advice/treatment, if symptoms feel worse than a standard cold
- Contact emergency numbers circulated by country Government.
Read more on coronavirus here
If you appreciate this post…it would mean a lot to a lot of us if you could click on the “claps” icon below. That would really be appreciated — Thanks!